23 February 2013

Jillian Michael's Banana Blueberry Muffins




I am currently doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. I have become obsessed and recently purchased her cookbook. I love bread and I am so glad that Jillian approves (as long as it's whole wheat, the real whole wheat). I made her muffins and they were pretty good! Not great, cause they are super healthy, but good! I had one right out of the oven and it was decent. The next morning I warmed one up in the microwave and spread almond butter on it. Then it became amazing! I highly recommend it. This is my first time baking with whole wheat flour. They're not pretty, they're healthy. Ha!

Here's the recipe:

Olive oil spray for the tin (I used muffin liners)
3/4 cup mashed very ripe bananas (about 2)
3/4 cup non fat plain yogurt (I used Greek)
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons aluminum free baking powder (I used regular)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 generous cup of fresh or frozen blueberries
optional 1/2 cup chopped walnuts ( I left these out)

Place an oven rack in the center the oven and preheat to 425 degrees. Lightly spray a 12 cup muffin tin with olive oil or line with paper liners.

In a large bowl, place the bananas, yogurt, honey, olive oil, and vanilla. Stir together until well mixed.

In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in the blueberries and the nuts, if using.

Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin. Place the tin in the oven and reduce the heat to 400 degrees. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes (I ended up baking mine about 33) or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Let cool in the tin for 10 to 15 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack. Serve warm. For longer storage, let cool completely and store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.

Each muffin is 218 calories without the walnuts.
Fat 6.8 g
Protein 4.5 g
Carbs 37.1 g
Sodium 234.5 mg

No comments: